Thursday, June 28, 2012

day 200

movie: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (aka the Sorcerer's Stone)
starring: Daniel Radcliffe, Maggie Smith
genre: Adventure, Fantasy
year: 2001
format: TV EDIT

plot: A young boy learns on his 11th birthday that he is a very important witch.  Soon he finds himself at the world's biggest school for witches, and a bit of a celebrity.

I have to admit, the first time I heard about this whole Harry Potter thing, I right off thought of the old tv show Worst Witch.  It took me a really long time to allow myself to actually start getting into the mythos of the HP world, given the fact I used to love the Worst Witch when I was younger.

The next thing I have to say is, damn the re-titles.  It seems to be a common thing to take British films and give them different titles outside of Britain. They did this all the time with Hammer films.

What can I say about this other then, after the first ten minutes I was just captivated.  I still hold a big comparison though to the Worst Witch stories.  Harry Potter -book-  didn't come out until around 1997, where as WW had been around since the mid 1980's.

what do i think i learned from this film?
There's a little witch in everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment