Wednesday, January 2, 2013

It's an adventure Watson!

Movie:  The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey

Where: Cinema

My reason for seeing it: originally just for AidanTurner (Being Human ) and Richard Armitage (BBC's North and South, Vicar of Dibley, Robin Hood, Captain America ).
It became a must see when I learned Martin Freeman (Dr. Watson in BBC's Sherlock) and Benedict Cumberbatch ( Sherlock) were in it. 
Bonus when I realized one of the characters was being played by Dean O'Gorman ( Young Hercules, Farscape)

I so totally loved it!  I see this trilogy being a to buy for me over the next few years. Will be adding it to my movie library for sure.  Which is ironic and slightly surprising to me, given I hated the original Lord of the Rings films.

See, go for the men, stay for the story.

For the first twenty minutes Richard Armitage was on the screen, all I could think was "Gisbourne"; even the costume he was wearing was very Guy of Gisbourne-ish,  kept waiting to see arrows come flying across the screen.  So you know, the second I stop thinking about his character in Robin Hood and really get into the film, an arrow comes flying across the screen. Aidan Turner had his "Hood" moment.
I was the only one in the room who found it funny. Go figure.

I remember seeing the cartoon mini-series version over twenty years ago, when I was a kid. It gave me nightmares for weeks.  Do I think this will make me want to run out and get the books?  Not sure, I think I'll have to wait till after part two at lest before I consider that kind of homework.


I look at this promo poster, and to me it just screams Farscape. Half them remind me of the make-up for the Luxans.
Armitage's look sort of has a Rob Zombie feel to it.

As you can tell, I'm not really going to give any kind of plot or anything.  Either you already know the story, which I only half way remember myself cause it's been over twenty years, or you are going to be glad there are no spoilers on this post.
I just wish now that part two came out sooner. I have to wait all year for the next chapter.


No comments:

Post a Comment