Friday, May 26, 2017

Random movie May 26st 2017 (Food n Flix )

Spudguns! It's that time of month, when I offer you up my dinner and a movie, for the blogging group Food n'Flix. This month is being hosted by Debbi at  Kahakai Kitchen  .... and it's Princess Bride.

movie: The Princess Bride
starring: Cary Elwes, Chris Sarandon
genre: Comedy, Adventure
year: 1987
format: DVD

plot: When a young boy's grandfather shows up to read to him, his imagination is sparked with a story about pirates, true love, evil murder plots, revenge, and things that are not always what they seem. We follow the characters in the fairy tale - Westley and Buttercup- as their adventure unfolds. Buttercup believing Westley is dead at the hands of the Dread Pirate Roberts, agrees to marry the prince. The prince is trying to start a war with the next kingdom, and plans on doing so by killing Buttercup and blaming it on the neighbouring kingdom. But his plans are foiled when Westley who is not only alive but in fact the Dread Pirate Roberts shows up to rescue her.

Based on the 1973 novel.

This is one of those stories everyone loves. It's got something for all tastes.  My favourite scenes are Westley sword fighting with Inigo Montoya; who has like the coolest line in all of moviedom  "Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya, you have killed my father prepare to die".  I mean, who hasn't at some point in time quoted that like for no other reason then it's damn cool!  My other favourite scene is when Inigo and Fezzik take Westley half dead, to see Miracle Max. The comedy timing of Carol Kane and Billy Crystal is as perfect as the sword fight is earlier.

Notes:  cheesies, cow, chicken, pig, apples, garlic, leeks, bread, carrots, dough, celery, water, herbs, goats, buttercup (her name) brandy (mentioned) peanut (mentioned) cheese, eel, wine, "cinnamon" (the sand made me think of it) "swordfish" (the fencing made me think of it) sandwich, juice, coffee, sliced ham, pears, rabbit, soup/stew, lemon juice (mentioned) mutton-lettuce-tomato sandwich (mentioned) chocolate, muffin (mentioned) potatoes, wheat, onions, walnuts, mango, grapes, pineapple

I have to confess something. My recipe didn't work. And I did not have a back up plan. I had said in another post, I'd be back that week with this, but my recipe failed and I wasn't sure I was going to do this at all. And if you've been following this for any length of time, you know I like to think outside the box as much as I can.  What I ended up doing, was going with the obvious. I ended up making a soup.  My inspiration scene being where Inigo is drunk and falls face first into his soup/stew.  And it used more than half the ingredients from my notes.


 Ingredients for mom's beef soup

1 package stew beef
2 large potatoes or 3 small ones
1 cup chopped carrots
2 stalks celery chopped
half onion chopped
1 cup instant rice
1 can tomato soup
1 can veggie soup
1 container beef broth
half a turnip chopped
salt to taste





Rinse the beef in cold water until most of the colour is out.  Then put it on to simmer for about an hour, at which point you remove any scum from the top. Let simmer for another half hour,
Chop all the vegetables, adding in the celery and onion first.
Stir in the beef broth
Let simmer for another fifteen minutes, before adding remaining ingredients

With the lid half way on, let simmer for another 45 minutes, so that the rice can plump up.

First off, yeah I did a meat dish. Which of course I did not eat. But mom seemed happy with it so... And second, it ironically fit. This was one of those weird situations, where I was banging my head against the wall with lack of inspiration, and was literally walking around the apartment with the damned dvd in hand when mom called asking me to go to the grocery for her. When I saw how the shopping list was turning out;  it made perfect sense. And yes, I walked around the grocery with the movie in my purse cause I'm spiffy like that.

That's it for this month. If you try this one, let me know what you think cause this is one recipe I didn't taste myself.    Next month the group will be doing the movie Volver and is being hosted by Evelyne at  CulturEatz


8 comments:

  1. I am sure your stew was delicious. I am sorry your first dish didn't work out and you struggled with inspiration but I love the scene with the stew and think this is great! ;-)

    Thanks for joining in this month.
    Aloha,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure the stew was restorative. :) Inigo is my favorite character.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think stew was the perfect dish for this movie....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not gonna lie, I almost made some soup or stew based on that scene, as well - it looked so good (total comfort food)! Pass me a bowl...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Thanks. I would have loved to have done a mutton-lettuce-tomato but...

      Delete