Monday, February 9, 2015

Food n Flix February


February's Food n Flix  movie pick is the 1955 Disney cartoon, and it's being hosted by Lawstudent's Cookbook.

plot: Lady is brought home as an x-mas gift from a young husband for his wife, and ends up being pampered. That is until the young couple have their first baby, and suddenly Lady finds herself being forgotten. Her two best friends, Jock and Trusty who live on her quiet little street in the homes next door, begin to feel sorry for her. That is until Tramp shows up one morning. Tramp, is a ownerless dog who's best trick seems to be running away from the dog catcher, and surviving on his wits. Seeing that Lady is feeling forgotten, he talks her into running way with him, only to have her captured by the dog catcher.


Okay you know what, I know this is a "classic" and we all grew up with it, but after re-watching it, I sort of have nothing nice to say about it.  I loved this when I was a kid, but as a woman in my 40's, it made me cringe.
It's this big classic love story about two souls from opposite ends of the social scale, who find love against all odds. Beautiful sentiment, but...I just wanted to slap her and tell her to wake up that he's a dink.

So that's the review part as cynical as it is, now to the food part.

My food notes this time around contained - pasta, chicken, squab (pigeon), hot dogs, scottish shortbread cookies, christmas cookie tree ornaments, "pigs in a blanket", "lady fingers", coffee/donuts, grapefruit, bones/marrow, "collar greens", pub food (because of the shot of a grill/bar), pastry (shot of a bakery), pizza,  "kibble and bites", steak, baby food, watermelon, chopped suey, maple (the beaver chewing bark; so Canadian beaver= maple), schnitzel, corned beef, bread sticks, cabbage and potatoes, and "junkyard scramble".  Some of which was shown, others just popped into my head because of certain scenes.

What I went with was... Cabbage and Potatoes.  There is a scene about midway through the movie where Tramp is fighting off three wild hounds to protect Lady, and while battling; they knock over barrels of potatoes and cabbage. I could not get this scene out of my head. I then wrestled with how to prepare them. At first, I was thinking doing a boiled dinner, and simply dropping them in a pot of salt water with some carrots and turnip, but changed my mind. I knew I didn't want to tackle cabbage rolls or scalloped potatoes, nor did I want to fall back on a soup.
What I ended up with was a quick chunky cut potato salad and sauteed cabbage with onions.



I would like to say that I did something fancy, but it was a really basic recipe. 

1 medium potato boiled in salt water about 15 minutes, rough chopped with skin still on
3 small green onions rough chopped
3 hard boiled eggs, rough chopped
2 and a half Tablespoons of Miracle Whip 
2 Tablespoons paprika

The cabbage I just ripped into small pieces and boiled in salt water for about ten minutes, while I rough chopped in strips an onion. Sauteing the onion in about a tablespoon of butter. Draining the cabbage, I added it to the onion and sauteed for about ten minutes. 
I had full intentions to get photos of the sauteing but, I got interrupted by a phone call.  

I had this for dinner with some left over veggie-meatless-meatloaf.



Okay, so once again not the prettiest dish on the planet, but very tasty. 


Okay my lovely Spudguns!, I promise one of these times I will do something a bit more dressed up and fancy. 



I know this was a bit rushed today, and I was thinking about redoing it, but I've had one issue after another with the whole Mercury in Retrograde...from the internet being out for almost a whole day, to the cable box resetting itself every half hour on the hour for like a day straight, to something I have cooked a hundred times deciding yesterday to explode in my oven nearly setting the oven on fire. 
This last week has kicked my arse every time I try to do anything.  
I swear the universe triple power bombed me and followed it up with a curb stomp... 


No, you are not seeing things, that is a VHS TAPE copy that I have of the movie.

Okay...till later



19 comments:

  1. I love where you went with the movie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Really kicking myself though for not going with the scalloped potatoes and "collar(d) greens".

      Delete
  2. Okay, I had to giggle because I, too, have a VHS copy... I love a good potato salad, and cabbage and onions is always a fave, so I think they both sound delicious. Such a fun choice for this flick. Did you notice there are also huge crates of cabbages in the alley outside of Tony's!? I had to laugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I missed the cabbages by Tony's. But I am betting my VHS copy had something your's doesn't...DUST!

      Delete
  3. How fun! I don't have the VHS copy; I feel left out! I had to rent my DVD from netflix. What a great recipe. Thanks for sharing with #FoodNFlix.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun! I don't have the VHS copy; I feel left out! I had to rent my DVD from netflix. What a great recipe. Thanks for sharing with #FoodNFlix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yes, started a trend with the VHS club it would seem.

      Delete
  5. I had a VHS too. Great observation in the movie! I will be back to join Food n Flix next month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I like the challenge of finding the less obvious in these.

      Delete
  6. Your review of the film made me smile. I did the obvious choice for the film so I am glad to see those more creative sorts and what they posted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I maybe should have done the obvious, then it would have been prettier.

      Delete
  7. I think Cabbage and Potatoes was perfect. I am sorry you didn't enjoy the movie in your adulthood. Somewhere between childhood and maturity we quit seeing things through rose colored glasses and start seeing them as they are.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you chose a perfect dish for the movie--and sometimes simple is best. I am crazy for potato salad and a side of cabbage sounds good to me too. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Just after seeing everyone else's, I started to doubt myself.

      Delete
  9. Felt the same way as you, had a cringe moment too lol. Great inspiration for your Cabbage and Potatoes salad, I missed that in my notes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Everyone else's just seems so professional looking.

      Delete
  10. Great recipe! And what a neat inspiration!

    ReplyDelete