Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Day 262

movie: Stephen King's  IT
starring: John Ritter, Tim Curry
genre: Horror, Drama
year: 1990
format: Online

plot: A group of kids in the 1960's, ban together after being bullied, soon they learn it's not the only thing they have in common, they are all seeing the same creepy clown. Only it's not a set of nightmares but waking visions.  As kids in their neighbourhood end up dead, they follow a trail leading them to a hundred year old mystery

This is one of Stephen King's creepiest stories yet.
This is based on the novel of the same name.    I was actually surprised to discover the novel was published in 1986, after the original Nightmare on Elm Street movie was done.  I was always under the impression that Stephen King's novel IT, had been published in the late 1970's.

I have to say, it moved a bit slow, then the end felt rushed. I would love to say, I totally understand the use of the clown to lure the kids if the clown had been sweet and innocent, but the clown is played to perfection by Tim Curry and is creepy as hell. Everyone I've ever talked to has always had a fear of clowns, so it makes me wonder if it's sort of a play on the topic to begin with?
The movie version (and I've never read the book so I can not compare) never really explained the back story of the IT's true identity.  Is it just a mutant spider? Or an alien? Or a straight up shapeshifting vampire?   I know there is talk of a remake in the next year and this is one thing I'd love to see explained in the remake.

what do I think I learned from this film?
Unless it's the shock rock rap stars Shaggy 2Dope and Violent J; the Insane Clown Posse, a clown is always going to be scary!

No comments:

Post a Comment