Saturday, September 29, 2012

Day 278

movie: The Vampire Dog
starring: Norm MacDonald, Collin MacKechnie
genre: Comedy
year: 2012
format: Shaw Video On Demand

plot: A boy moves to a new town and new school when his mom becomes the school's new music teacher.  Soon, he learns that he's set to inherit his dead grandfather's dog.  Which turns out to be a vampire dog.

I am a vampire junkie, and over my life I've seen some great vampire films, and some terrible ones.  This is cute.
Not really what I was expecting, but for what it is, its a silly way to spend an hour and a half.

It falls inline with many of the my-dog-saved- the day- genre films that seems to have popped up on dvd in the last four or so years, and mixes just enough of 101 Dalmatians  to have a weak but doable plot.  It is targeted for kids under 10, so the dialog is not that intense.

The vampire related stuff is almost an after thought to flesh it out so to speak then the main plot points.  The dog, which reminds me of the kids show Wishbone,  needs to eat red jelly in order to survive.  This leads to one scene of him causing a group of school kids to freak out mildly at lunch, but otherwise; this is about a boy fitting in at school while trying to stop a bad guy from stealing his dog. All coming to a head at the school's battle of the bands.

If you're looking for a cute silly puppy film, this is it.  If you're looking for a vampire film you'll be disappointed.

I do give it props for being one of the more original vampire films I've ever come across and I somehow see it becoming a small franchise of straight to dvd films.

what do i think i learned from this film?
Don't be afraid to be who you really are even if it means doing so alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment