Friday, March 25, 2016

Friday Pie Day March

Hey hey hey hey... it's that time again. Where Heather over on All Roads Lead to the Kitchen, has her monthly segment, Friday Pie Day. And once again I've decided to join her. You can check out her version of a Twin Peak's inspired pie (here)

I pulled my inspiration this month from one of my favourite tv shows, The Witches of East End.  (worst thing they did was cancel it! Damn it, I want a season 3)
Episode 2 from season 2 "The Son also Rises" (episode 12 of the series). We see the mom, Joanna and the aunt, Wendy offering a pie and wine to neighbour Dash. Joanna added truth root to it, making it a truth spell. And Wendy calls it magick pie.

It looks as if it's a blackberry pie, so I had the idea of blackberries as my main base. Even though the pie is "magick" and the character of Dash is the bad guy, I found the gesture to still be a comforting idea. And what's more comforting than a peanut butter and jam sandwich?  I decided to make a peanut butter cookie crust...as in one giant peanut butter cookie.



Crust

1 cup peanut butter
1 cup regular sugar
1 egg
1Tablespoon baking soda

Mix,

chill for half hour
form to pan,
bake at 325 degrees for roughly 30 minutes depending on your oven




Filling

I used a frozen mix of blackberries, black cherries and blueberries.

I made the "jam" by a simple reduction of the frozen fruit and 2 cups sugar. Because they were frozen, I did not have to add any extra liquid.

Boil on high, then lower heat to medium and let simmer for 45 minutes.

Let cool before adding to the crust.


Maybe not enough to waggle the deepest darkest secrets out of your warlock neighbours, but simple and comforting enough to enchant someone to chat over coffee and pie.

4 comments:

  1. I don't know, I might spill a few secrets for a slice of this pie! I love the way you went with this, a pb cookie crust is genius. And I agree, I was waiting super impatiently for season 3 until I found out it was cancelled (from you, I think) - so bummed. I loved this series. And how funny that both of our pies today were inspired by a series featuring the gorgeous Mädchen Amick. Thanks for joining me for fridaypieday this month. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me elbow my way in this month.
      It was one of the best shows to come out of the last few years, still hoping another channel/studio picks it up.

      Delete
  2. Oh, my! That is inspired genius, Kimberly! Peanut butter crust with a jammy berry filling. Swooning over here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.
      I love these "what that inspired me to do" style challenges.

      Delete