Saturday, January 17, 2015

Coffee Talk Jan 17th 2015

I have come in here three times this week to work on the All Jane Austen part 2 post, and every time have found myself deleting it. I just can't seem to get my mind to work on it. Mostly because I'm still bummed over the fact the all JA book club didn't pan out. But, I will do this. 2015 will see the rest of the books having one movie version talked about.

Today, today was a Practical Magic day. I watched it...sort of, it was playing in the background while I made dinner. Vegetarian chilli. And sigh of relief, I did not take pictures of the chilli. Nor did I bother to write down my recipe today. You my lovely Spudguns! only need to see photos of my cooking when its relevant, and today it is not. I admit, my food is like me, it's not pretty but it comforting and keeps you warm on cold winter nights. There will always be much better looking plates of food on this planet as well as photographers who know how to accentuate it.
Practical Magic, one of the few movies on this planet that I know all the lines to. I don't know if that's a good thing or a sad one? It's my top go to movie for everything. (Lost Boys, Bram Stoker's Dracula and Julie/Julia being the others) When I'm giddy, when I'm sick, when I'm bummed out, when I'm looking for some inspiration etc.
I was feeling like the "Phone Tree Day" scene. Where Sally is all bummed and slightly thwarted because she's never picked to be the top mom to call everyone in an emergency and just feeling shoved out of the gang.  ( I'm still waiting for my own Mr. Hallet  to show up with a crumpled worn out letter he had of mine to rescue the day...sigh. )

With society being the way it is, I wonder sometimes why movies like this, or the genre of the romantic comedy still appeals to people?  With the internet age, so many people have shown in more ways then one, that they don't believe in the big sweeping gesture of love at first sight/true love. So why do so many of these movies in this genre still bring in millions of dollars and become the movies everyone ends up talking about?  Even the big action hero movies have their twist on the basic plots.

I think now more then ever, your personal list of go to movies really gets to the core of who you truly are, even if you don't realize it. (hmm, three of mine are based on books, two are vampires, one is witches and the other cooking...yeah that sounds about right)

Practical Magic, a love story within a love story that's about love stories.  And let me point out that it's got some elements in it from Sense and Sensibility. Jane Austen's story about two sisters who are total opposites that follow their own paths to love...but that's another post for another month.

Till Later

No comments:

Post a Comment