Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Day 18

Movie: Steel Magnolias
Starring: Dolly Parton, Sally Field
Genre: Drama,
Year: 1989
Format:DVD


Plot: Following the lives of a group of friends in a beauty shop as they deal with love, marriage, births and deaths; over the course of about two years.

Based on a stage play, which was based on a true story.

This film is a tear jerker in all senses of the word.  I almost didn't make it through to the ending because I was crying about midway.
This is one of the most powerful movies I can say I've ever seen. The idea that a group of women could be that close for so long throughout so much baffles my mind.
It's an honest film that sneaks up on you.  The dialog is funny even in the most dramatic of moments that helps to lend a nice realism to the characters.

There is one scene where Shirley MacLane's character is talking to Olivia DuKakis's character while in the grocery store that unlocks a softer side to the harshness you see throughout the rest of the film.

What do I think I learned from this film?
Strength is in truth. And no matter how bad it gets, if you can talk about it, you can get through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment