Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Top 5 Fav Newfoundland movies




1. Shipping News (2001)

2. Down in the Dirt (2008)

3. Grand Seduction (2014)

4. Young Triffie's Been Made Away With (2006)

5. Rare Birds (2001)


Okay, so this was a personal challenge that didn't end up being much of a challenge.  I originally thought I'd have to scramble to find three let alone five, but hey no sweat Eh?

The Shipping News, when I first saw this movie back in 2003, it held me spellbound. You have a story about a guy who is so lost, he allows a stranger to talk him into moving to a new country, after only knowing them for a few minutes. It's one of the ultimate starting over films, while being a find yourself/journey to recovery stories. 

Down to the Dirt.  I've talked about this before on other blogs, and it's still one of my favourite Canadian films. It follows a couple as they deal with their addictions, their dreams and their journey to find love.

Grand Seduction. It's a cute film. I loved it from the first few moments.  You follow this big city doctor as he is seduced by the people of a small town, who are doing everything they can creatively think of to keep the doctor in town.

Young Triffie's Been Made Away With.  Another movie I talked about few years back on other blogs, and one of the first movies I stumbled across that really highlighted the province.   A young police officer in the 1940's is called in to solve a murder and sexual assault, and finds himself in a Clue-style situation.

Rare Birds. A small restaurant owner who's about to loose his business, cons a group of bird watchers into hanging out there in order to keep customers, while his strange neighbour is dealing with a boat-load of drugs.


No comments:

Post a Comment