Sunday, June 17, 2018

Random movie June 17th 2018

I just saw the Canadian film Hunting Pignut. It stars Taylor Hickson and Joel Thomas Hynes.

plot: After the ashes of her father are stolen at his funeral, a teenaged Bernice runs away in search of her father's friends. She soon finds herself thrown into a new and semi-welcoming world she was never sure she really wanted to know about.
 
This is based on a true story.

I'm sort of torn on how I feel about it. I liked it, but I'm not sure I loved it?  I have to admit, I watched this because of Joel Thomas Hynes. I've been a fan of his since the movie Down to the Dirt. He definitely steals the scene in every second of footage he's given.

It's a beautifully shot film, set in the heart of Newfoundland, showing us both sides of the so called coin. It's grit and confusion balanced perfectly as we watch young Bernice become Story, and try to walk the tightrope of who she feels she should be for whom she's with. To say the character has daddy issues, is pretty much an understatement.  She finds a diary which she at first thinks belongs to her father but quickly realizes belongs to his best friend Pignut. Her attachment then to Pignut becomes blurred as she seeks him out. What starts off at first as her connecting with Pignut as a role model and substitute father figure, soon crosses into a crush before turning romantically volatile. And all within the time frame of about 72hours.

What makes this such a powerfully emotional film, is what makes me say I'm not sure I loved it. The very core of the relationship between Story and Pignut. They have both just lost an important part of themselves, and struggle to reclaim a piece of it within each other, only to self destruct.


No comments:

Post a Comment