Monday, May 28, 2012

Day 172

movie: Xanadu
starring: Olivia Newton-John, Gene Kelly
genre: Musical
year: 1980
format: Cineplex Digital

plot: One of the Greek Muses is given the task of inspiring an artist to open up a disco

Uh-humm... Okay, I'd never seen this film before, and now I'm wishing that I hadn't bothered.

There is little dialog and what there is, doesn't really give you much. This movie feels like it has a split personality, like it can not make up it's mind if it wants to be a 1940's style film or a 1980's rock video.

The whole time I was watching this, I kept thinking that it must have been based on a rock opera- broadway play... turns out there is a broadway play, but it didn't come out until 28 years after this film was made.  Maybe the producers of this muck were just a few decades ahead of themselves?

what do i think i learned from this film?
Art is in the eye of the creator. 

No comments:

Post a Comment