Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Day 161

Movie: Hard Core Logo 2
Starring: Care Failure, Bruce McDonald
Genre: Music, Drama,
Year: 2010
Format: Shaw Video On Demand

Plot: 15 years after the death of Hard Core Logo's lead singer Joe Dick, a female punk singer claims she's possessed by his ghost and calls in the same documentary film crew that followed Joe's last tour to tape her.

I've been a major fan of Bruce McDonald's since Roadkill and Highway 61.  The original HCL became an iconic piece of Canadian culture, and when I found out few years ago that there was going to be a second offering in the mythos, I was beyond happy.  

This was not what I was expecting.  This was drivel.

The lead character is played by Care Failure, which if I understand is the lead singer of a real punk band, though I have to admit I'm not a big punk fan so I never heard of her before this film. 

It started off looking like it was going to blow the roof of the building, but by the end of the first half hour, you start feeling the let down.  Not even the flashbacks of footage from the original film can really piece together the plot of this movie.  It's like it has no plot.  I have to wonder what was going through the head of  McDonald when he was working on this film, as it seems to loose what little identity it has in the end. 
It could have worked well as a major revenge story with  Bucky Haight, who is the only other character than Bruce to carry over from the original film, but it was as if that thought just fizzled mid-write.

Everyone would have been better off if they had done a behind the scenes anniversary addition instead of another mocumentary. 

What do I think I learned from this film?
When you have magick, you can not wait too long to recreate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment