Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Day 268

movie: Girl Interrupted
starring: Angelina Jolie, Winona Ryder
genre: Drama, Biography
year: 1999
format: TV EDIT

plot: After graduation, a young woman is put in a mental hospital for depression and while there, learns about life from the other members of the ward

This is based on the autobiography of the same name.

I have to admit, this was not something I went running towards. I remember seeing it when it originally came out 13years ago, but didn't remember much of anything till I watched it again just now.
I know it's based on a true story, and lots of people love it because of Ryder and Joile and the late Britteny Murphy, but I was less then thrilled by it.

You're never really sure if Joile's character is using Ryder's character, or if she's that much of a co-dependent?
And I never got the whole thing about the chickens?  If you've seen this movie, then you know that there are a few scenes where Murphy's character has an eating obsession to do with roast chicken. 

what do I think I learned from this film?
The 1990's were a flashback of the 1960's, and many elements of art (books, films, music) exploded in a mirror image of that, and this proved that depression dressed up in any decade is a dangerous weapon.

No comments:

Post a Comment