Friday, November 6, 2015

Food n Flix November

This month's Food n Flix selection is Hundred Foot Journey and is being hosted by  Culinary Adventures with Camilla

plot: After loosing everything in a fire, a family leave their home in India to start fresh in France. They end up opening a restaurant right across the street from a Michelin star restaurant, which begins a food fight of sorts.

This is a 2014 drama starring Helen Mirren and Manish Dayal.
Based on the book

I've talked about this one back in Year 3 (day 96) on the blog and for this re-watch, I watched online so you will notice once again, a lack of dvd cover in the photos.

Notes- basil, flowers, chicken, sea urchin, fish, samosa, kabobs, seafood stew, flat bread, rice, peppers, eggs, BBQ, lobsters, prawns, tomatoes, tea, bread and butter, pears, cheese, radishes, grapes, olives, sardines, pickles, olive oil, sweets, cold plates, croissants, jam, coffee, frogs legs, escargot, goat, asparagus, red currents, duck, garlic, potatoes, crapes, fresh fruit, mushrooms, leeks, cauliflower, spices, sandwiches, oysters, crayfish, limes, eggplant, carrots, cabbage, capers, mutton, red wine, dumplings, chutney,roasted vegetables, figs, foie gras, sweet corn, bechamel sauce, salami, omelette, pigs feet, ham, pheasant, melon, squab, ginger, truffles, beef bourguignon, zucchini, curry, chilies, cookies, milk, rack of lamb, mini fruit tarts, "pumpkins" (I keep thinking of them because of the street lights) beet root, roasted chestnuts, saffron,

I kept looking at the words "mushrooms and leeks" sitting beside each other in my notes, and decided a mushroom leek quiche was it.
I ended up using the same pie crust that I used the other week for the "Twin Peaks- Friday Pie Day" (13 Days of Hallowe'en day 12) post, which makes two crusts for a top and bottom. 

2 and 3/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter, cold
1/2 cup milk and lemon juice
1 Tablespoon ground black pepper

chill the dough for about 45minutes

Divide dough, rolling out enough for one crust.  You can either refrigerate the rest or simply cut the the recipe in half.
I then cooked the crust for about 30 minutes at 350degrees before adding the filling.

The filling for the quiche

1/2 a leek chopped
1/2 cup mushrooms chopped
1 small onion chopped
2 cups of cheese, diced or shredded (I used Gouda)
3 eggs and a 1/2 cup milk

You can then layer the filling ingredients, pouring the egg and milk mixture over,
cooking for an additional 40minutes, depending on your oven.

And this is the part where I get to say...tune in next month, my lovely Spudguns! As I, your heroine, your favourite ghoul next door, will be sinking my teeth into my first hosting of Food n'Flix, where we'll be covering... The Jane Austen Book Club.  (admit it, you totally thought I was going to say Dracula didn't you...)

18 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this. Mushroom and leek = deliciousness! Can't wait to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love quiche - it can be dressed up or dressed down and it's equally as good either way. Mushroom and leeks are one of my favorite combos with eggs. Pass a slice my way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got enough leeks left over that I'll be making everything with them for the next few days.

      Delete
    2. Have you made Potato Leek Soup before? One of my faves!

      Delete
    3. Yes. And I plan on making a batch this week.

      Delete
  3. I have not made a quiche in so long, this one is very tempting. Looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. As I keep saying, sometimes simple is the best way to go.

      Delete
  4. Two of my favorite ingredients--mushrooms and leeks. I love a good quiche too. ;-)

    I am looking forward to your film pick for December. I am a Jane Austen fanatic and have seen The Jane Austen Book Club a number of times but not for a while and not watching it for the food. This should be fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That actually makes me feel a bit better. Was afraid no one would like it.

      Delete
  5. Mushrooms and leeks pair so well together. I am sure this quiche was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The quiche looks divine! How lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That quiche filling sounds so delicious. Can't wait for next month's round!

    ReplyDelete