Saturday, February 4, 2012

Day 64

Movie: Breakaway (aka Speedy Singhs)
Starring: Russell Peters, Rob Lowe
Genre: Comedy, Sports, Drama, Musical
Year: 2011
Format: Shaw Video On Demand


Plot: A group of Hindu-Canadians form a hockey team. Not only do they find themselves having to prove they belong on the ice to the other teams, they have to prove it to their families.

You can not get more ethnic Canadian then this.
The movie at times is as confused as the characters that are portrayed, as it is half down home hockey night in Canada and half Bollywood musical.

I am glad to see that the musical numbers where kept to a minimum, they still could have handled the one with Drake better.  It was just so out of place.
The subtitles on this could have used a super-size too, as they were mostly white on white and very tiny.

But, those two comments were the only negative I've got. I found Breakaway to be fresh and funny.  I even gave a giggle when I saw Rob Lowe was in this as I remember seeing him do another hockey film Youngblood  back in the 1980's

What do I think I learned from this film?
You have to stay true to you no matter what. And I'm more of a hockey fan then I wanted to admit, but I am not a fan of Bollywood films.

No comments:

Post a Comment