Monday, December 24, 2012

Day 358

movie: Rise of the Planet of the Apes
starring: Andy Serkis, James Franco
genre: Sci-fi, Drama
year:2011
format: Online

plot: A scientist finds a newborn ape in his lab, who has been genetically enhanced. Raising it like his own son for 8 years, Cesar is removed from their home after an accident. Soon, Cesar's intelligence evolves to the point he is able to teach the other apes who are being held captive, and leads them in an uprising.

I was expecting a solid sci-fi action flick. What I got was a heartwarming drama.  I ended up with a crying headache.

This is suppose to be the first in a series of rebooted Planet of the Apes films.   It was extremely well written, and kept me glued to the screen.  I have to admit, I sat there wondering for most of it how much was digital and how much was puppets/man in a suit?  I was surprised in a good way to learn that the apes were actually all done by motion capture and that it was 97% "men in suites".   You're drawn in by them so much, you forget that you are watching a "digital" movie.

All I really have to say is, I can not wait for the next installment of the series.

what do i think i learned from this film?
Humanity is what you make of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment