Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Day 211

movie: 21 Jump Street
starring: Jonah Hill, Channing Tatum
genre: Comedy, Action, Crime
year: 2012
format: Shaw Video On Demand

plot: Two young cops are sent back to high school undercover to fish out the school's latest drug dealers.

Okay, what do you want me to say about this?  It's a remake of the old tv show.  A show that never aired where I live and thus I can not compare the two. Which might actually be in my favour because I thought this was a funny buddy film.

There is a small twist in the dynamics of the whole plot, by a simple name switch which leads the to characters in each other's former roles.  Tatum's character, a major jock joins the advanced classes and Hill's character, the classic geek joins the jocks, giving what might have otherwise been a disaster, a real chance to humanize the two characters. 

But wait, there's more.  Johnny Depp has a small cameo in the movie, which you miss the first time unless you're really looking. And when I say first time, I mean he pops up in the beginning and at the end. 

Otherwise, I can see this becoming a short series of films.  There is definitely great comedy timing between the duo of Hill and Tatum. They should be able to get at lest two more films from that without tiring audiences.

what do i think i learned from this film?
Sometimes you really can go back and start over, but do you really want to?

6 comments:

  1. I was trying to find your email address here but couldn’t locate it. I literally browsed everywhere. Can you please contact me at: alyson[at]ftframes.com
    It is regarding a writing opportunity!

    This is not a spam message by the way, although it might appear like it. Also if you could be kind, please remove this message once you have seen it so I don’t get emails by randomers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alyson... I don't have my email on this blog cause I wanted people to leave comments.

      Delete
  2. Great review. Hill and Tatum are great together here and add a lot to this film’s comedy but it’s just the way it is all written that makes it even richer. It’s making fun of those high school comedy conventions but at the same time, is inventing it’s own as it goes on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dan O... I just think that when there are so many forced pairings in films, it's really great to see some natural chemistry.

      Delete
  3. 2nd funniest film I have seen at the theater this year. O and welcome to the Lamb :-) Saw you were the latest addition on the front page. Look forward to seeing you on the forums.

    ReplyDelete