Wednesday, June 10, 2015

June Food n Flix

This month's Food n Flix  selection is being hosted by Cheap Ethnic Eatz, and they picked Butter.

plot: A young girl decides to enter the yearly butter sculpting challenge after seeing it done at her state fair. The other competitors are the wife of the former champion who'd won it for fifteen years straight, and the stripper he'd had an affair with; who happens to be blackmailing his family.  

This is a 2011 comedy-drama starring Alicia Silverstone and Jennifer Garner.

I saw this back at the new year, and was going to do a write up about it then, but held off when I learned it was on the list for the group. I get that's a political satire, but I wasn't feeling it. Maybe because it was a political film?

And again, I watched this online, so you will notice a lack of dvd cover in the photos.

All I could think was butter-cream and chicken while re-watching this. but none the less, here are my notes... Butter, "pickles"(their last name is Pickler) meat on a stick, popcorn, iced coffee, hot dogs, soup, pie, "white bread" (just so conservative), vegan pop, olives, yogurt, vegan mayo, salad, kale, root vegetables, pretzels, beer, "shake and bake" (cause of the sex in car scene) frozen peas, mini chocolate, "ginger bread" (her hair colour) apples, "butter cream", crackers, potato salad, "cheating chicken"(they are about to have chicken when wife finds out about affair), dinner rolls, "pudding and brown butter sauce", donut holes, pork-rinds, birthday cake, pasta, "butternut squash noodles with cauliflower puree" (cause of his broken penis when he's holding the frozen vegetables)

I've been vegetarian for over a decade so this should have been a snap, given all the vegan related items seen in the fridge of the foster mom played by Alicia Silverstone.(yeah she did this film about the same time her vegan cookbook came out) Side note, I've had vegan pop and you can't tell it's vegan at all. I have no idea how pop can be vegan given it's still processed but... 
So obviously, I had planned on going with the butternut squash noodles with cauliflower puree, cause when have any of you dear Spudguns! known me to pass up a penis related situation.  But...the movie gods or culinary gods, or St. Lorenzo(yeah cooks really do have a patron saint) didn't feel I prayed to him enough or something; cause the grocery here was out of butternut squash for the last few weeks.
So my next thought was....butter pecan tarts.

A Canadian classic in a not so classic way.  I decided to make it a tart...not little single tarts. And I went with a shortbread crust. 


 Crust

1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
1/2 cup sugar
teaspoon salt
2 cup flour

Combine till dough is ready to form in pie pan.

I used an ungreased glass pie dish. 

Filling

1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup pecan pieces
(optional raisins)

Melt butter and brown sugar over medium heat, stirring till it bubbles, then remove from heat.  Set aside for a few minutes.
Whisk in the eggs, syrup, lemon juice, vanilla, and salt.
Stir for about five minutes and then add pecans.


Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Press dough into the pie pan, and pour the filling over, baking for 10-15 minutes depending on your oven.

Lower heat to 350 degrees and continue to bake for another 15 minutes depending on your oven.


This surprisingly, is not as sweet as traditional butter tarts are.  I say surprisingly, given the amount of maple syrup and brown sugar are in it.

This one came out a little on the "short" side; as my pie pan was just a bit large for the amount of crust I made.  I know, bad me for not considering that factor, but it's a new pie dish and...yeah. Just wanted to use it damn it!

I also did not add any raisins, as most butter tarts have raisins which add to the sweetness.


I was afraid I was going to have to change the plan yet again, as we suddenly had a massive turn in weather.  This little apartment became such an oven all on it's own, the butter I had out to soften, melting from the muggy-humidity here.
Kinda wish I'd been quick enough to snap a photo of the butter as it melted in the mixing bowl, but at that point I just wanted to get the recipe done.


That's the "short" of it for this month, till next time...

14 comments:

  1. ha ha ha...broken penis! I love the direction you wound up taking. Butter tarts remind somewhat of the nut pies I love so much, I really do need to try making one. Slice me off a big ol' piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actually wishing I had put the raisins in. I had them sitting there, ready to go and last second left them out because I was afraid it was going to be too sweet.

      Well, what can I say, I love men. I'm a dog with a bone when it comes right down to it.

      Delete
  2. Sex and butter, what a combo! Glad you held off writing about this movie for this month. Pecan pie is like in my top 3 fave pies, so, yeah, love your recipe! Thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But-ter-course.

      Re-watching it for the group, I saw more food then I originally thought was in it.

      Delete
  3. I started giggling at "white bread" and was belly laughing by the broken penis. Too funny. I love reading your inspiration each month. The tart looks delicious. Nothing beats a shortbread crust in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I toyed with making a homemade bread, thinking bread and butter, but didn't because, honestly thought everyone would go that route so I didn't. I'm surprised to see no one did.
      What can I say, I'm a sucker for penis...

      Delete
  4. Thanks for making me chuckle today! Great recipe! YUM! Congrats on completing this month's Food n' Flix movie challenge too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It's difficult to make something original every time.

      Delete
  5. Your tart looks lovely! Great choice for the movie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally missed the vegan element! I always enjoy your stream of consciousness run-downs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The next one I can say isn't as complete though...

      Delete
  7. You are hilarious...broken penis et al. Thanks for sharing this recipe!

    ReplyDelete