Tuesday, July 12, 2016

year 5 day 161

movie: I am Thor
starring: Jon Miki Thor, Mike Favata
genre: Documentary
year: 2015
format: Netflix Canada

plot: Following the career of heavy metal performer Jon Thor and his band

I haven't covered many documentaries this year, and this was a slight bit different then I was expecting.  Is it horrible for me to say that when I first heard of the band Thor, back when I was still young enough to worship MuchMusic's Power Hour (is that even still a thing?) the one or two videos that got played by these guys, always seemed...fixed? Maybe that's not the right word, but I always thought they lacked what Alice Cooper had, and put them in line with Bad News. (you know the Comic Strip presents comedy team) What I'm trying to say is, I don't think I ever realized these guys were a real band...like real band. Nor did I realize they were Canadian.

So it is a documentary, and there isn't a lot to pick apart at like other genres. You have a guy who's hero was a mythical icon, and he took that aspect building himself around it. We watch him go through thick and thin as he keeps his dream alive. And that is the whole moral of it. He never gives up on what he holds as the most important element of his life.

It was almost a running joke though sad as it was, that every tour there were new band members. Almost like every few years while someone else was stumbling on his music, as each generation found him, he lost his band to loftier ideals, having to start over. I think it was one of the things that made this documentary sort of endearing. The more he seemed to loose, the more he managed to gain.

what did I learn? True vikings never die.

No comments:

Post a Comment