Friday, January 27, 2012

What that movie inspired me to do # 3

Remember the scene in Elvira Mistress of the Dark  { Day 49} where she makes dinner, only it goes terribly wrong...

The "casserole" she tries to cook is actually a spell to create a demon -Adraka Kozorol-.  Remember how she goes to use the spell again later on to scare everyone but because she changed out one ingredient, it backfires and is actually a love spell. {Elvira substitutes hamburger helper for the fulemgra}

Well, that movie inspired me to make two dishes.   {I had it on zoom and pause to get the spelling of Adraka Kozorol}
Since that was basically a nonsense recipe/spell,  I had to figure what would be a real life substitute.  That was just the first dish, then had to substitute something for the second dish's substitute.
And to top it all off, I'm vegetarian.  So the dish needed to be meat free {no hamburger helper}

The movie recipe/spell:

Adraka Kozorol 

1 edrazeba
2-3 goletra
half fulemgra
1 croterox


Additional by Elvira - spray cheese and nacho chips 


Morality Picnic = substitute the fulemgra with hamburger helper. 


My casseroles inspired by this movie:
So what I did was I grabbed my Mastering The Art Of French Cooking  by Julia Child, and randomly flipped to a page in the cookbook.   {I thought it was fitting considering this whole challenge was started because I watched the movie Julie/Julia}  I landed on the section about Gratins.   Which Julia Child describes in the paragraph above it, that any Quiche recipe can be made in a casserole dish without the pastry as a form of Gratin.
I thought that was perfect, so I made a pastry-less version of a Broccoli and Cheese Quiche Casserole.

1 medium onion 
1 cup broccoli
2 cup shredded cheese
3 eggs
1 cup milk
salt and pepper to taste


Blanche the broccoli, slice or chop onion, 
Put in bottom of casserole dish
Cover with cheese
Beat together eggs, milk, salt and pepper then pour over rest

Bake at 375 degrees for 40minutes (roughly depending on your oven)


My substitute recipe was a Broccoli Mac and Cheese. Only, instead of macaroni noodles, I used egg noodles.
3 cups egg noodles
2 cups shredded cheese
1 cup broccoli
1 cup milk
salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon garlic minced


Cook and drain noodles, Blanche broccoli,
mix them together, then add the shredded cheese mixing while the noodles are still hot,
add the garlic, salt and pepper, mix again, then add milk
*Optional you may add cracker/bread/chips that have been crumbled on top
 
Bake at 350 degrees for 20minutes

Yes, my recipe does have a similar texture to the one they used in the movie doesn't it?

4 comments:

  1. I have to try the mac & cheese can't wait to see what else you cook up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous... I'll be getting back around to that part of things after I'm off my crutches. I'm just doing the light posts while my leg is broken.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No meat in hamburger helper.

    ReplyDelete