Saturday, February 15, 2014

Year 3 day 61

movie: Dreamgirls
starring: Jamie Foxx, Jennifer Hudson
genre: Music, Drama
year: 2006
format: TV edit

plot: Following the lives of three women in the 1960's and 1970's as they dealt with the highs and lows of being an all girl group.

Based on the stage musical, and loosely based on the biographies of the Supremes.

It's no secret that musicals and westerns are some of my lest favourite type of movies, but that's what's been on tv lately. 
I have to say, I got a bit bored mid-way through this, I was honestly tempted to turn it off. It was too much of a musical for me.  I liked the first half of it, the parts set in the 1960's, but the last half just sort of fell flat for me. It just seemed like the second half was suppose to go in one direction but seemed to swerve back on itself. Again, and I know I say this almost every time there is a tv edit, but it might have just been the way it was chopped for television?

I found the characters to be one dimensional, but that might have more to do with the fact there were so many characters that they had to fit into the story to progress it.

All in all, I loved Jennifer Hudson in this, but this isn't something I'd sit through again any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment