Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Year 5 Day 34

movie:The Grand Budapest Hotel
starring:Ralph Fiennes, Jude Law
genre:Comedy
year:2014
format: Netflix Canada

plot:A hotel owner tells a young writer about how he became the owner of the building, and the time he and his mentor solved a murder.

I think I got the title mixed up with Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, as I was looking for the sequel. And because of that, I was expecting a British drama.  This is a comedy.
I'm actually glad I screwed up and saw this film instead.  There are some really crazy at times, over the top characters but, it works. 

The story opens in the 1980's, then flashes back to the late 1960's/early 1970's, and then flashes back to the 1930's where the majority of the story happens. The story is technically a third hand approach to storytelling, but you forget that element as soon as you find yourself in the 1960/70's segment.

When watching the big case scene where the villain is on skis, the movie Fearless Vampire Killers popped into my head. I think it was the combination of the apprentice kid grabbing the toboggan and sending them off in all directions. There is just that same sort of buddy comedy element in what would in any other movie, have been the big action scene.

what do I think I learned? You don't have to be rich to be rich.

No comments:

Post a Comment