Tuesday, January 19, 2016

year 5 day 48

movie: Paul Blart Mall Cop
starring: Kevin James, Keir O'Donnell
genre: Comedy
year: 2009
format: Netflix Canada

plot:After finding himself locked the mall with a group of thieves, one security guard has to find a way to stop them and save the hostages.

On the surface it's a fairly typical story, the guy who can't seem to get his life together ends up being the big hero. And that's pretty much as deep as I found it to be. It was funny, relying on physical comedy for most of it.  The scenes where he is talking to the teenaged hacker reminded me of another movie/tv show but I just couldn't put my finger on what. (and I'm sure it will come to me at a weird moment later)
The whole point seems to be about being yourself, and trusting/believing in your own abilities. The underlining idea of loyalty (if you want to get deep) was one of the sub-plots. But I pretty much found it to be a surface movie, a nice light snack so to speak. With a slight cringe at the lolli on the floor scene.

This is what I don't get, there is one scene where he blows up the kitchen in the mall's restaurant leaving a large hole leading to the parking lot. Why did the police who were standing around the back parking lot, not take advantage of it? They watch the explosion with what looks like a way in for them, but yet no one even moves.

what did I learn? Don't drive your wheelchair scooter in the mall you'll get a ticket.

No comments:

Post a Comment