Sunday, January 10, 2016

year 5 day 39

movie: Thor
starring:Chris Hemsworth, Anthony Hopkins
genre: Fantasy, Sci-fi
year: 2011
format: TV Edit

plot: After starting a war with the frost giants, Thor is banished from Asgard and it's revealed that Loki set him up in order to take the king's place.

I'm going to say something I never say; for once I was expecting more science. I was slightly disappointed that there didn't seem to be more of a balance between the Earth scenes and the Asgard scenes. It seemed a bit on the Asgard heavy side. But, this was a tv edit, so I can't say for sure if that was the intent.(humour not lost on fact part two was aired before part one)

The big theme seemed to be pride. Thor was tossed out banished because he was too sure of himself, and stripped of his powers until he learned some humility. So the hero had a quest without even realizing he had a quest. Which, always makes for an interesting story plot. 
I've never connected the hammer to Excalibur before, but then again, I've never been a big fan of Camelot or of the Thor legend either. But the scenes where the hammer is stuck in the lab, all I could think was Excalibur and how much each legend fits together.

what did I learn? Being too eager is as bad as being too cocky.

No comments:

Post a Comment