Thursday, January 28, 2016

year 5 day 57

movie: Sin City 2 A Dame to Kill For
starring: Mickey Rourke, Josh Brolin
genre; Crime, Drama, Thriller, Film Noir
year: 2014
format: Netflix Canada

plot: Following the lives of a group of people who are all connected by the same bar

This is based on the graphic novels

Okay, I have to admit, if it wasn't for the blog project, I don't think I would have gone ahead and watched this. With that said, I'm glad I did.  I've never read the graphic novels, but I did see the first film when it came out,and just didn't care for it.

This one, I found to be more cohesive, easier to follow.

The stories are about revenge, self imposed exile, fear, desperation, lust, seduction, and the list goes on. I liked the whole noir part of it, the crime thriller aspects. Considering the first film, there was more story  which I liked, and less gore for the sake of shock/gore.
I have to admit, I was thrown at first with Brolin being cast, as I said, I haven't read any of the graphic novels, and was unaware he was playing a character who (in the first film was played by Clive Owens) has reconstructive surgery. I at first glance, though the character was recast because Owens was unavailable or something. 

With all that said, the bulk of the film is the Brolin story, which I'm guessing is the title. And sadly, it does come off predictable. He gets wrapped up with his ex, who manipulates him into killing her husband, then she tries to kill him, seducing the cop, and making off with the millions.

I don't actually remember the Rourke character's amnesia actually being explained in this - no pun intended- so I'm guessing it was back in the first film? But otherwise,  that chapter of the film, kind of goes nowhere.

what did I learn? I swear there was an animated series based on the Sin City books back in the late 1990s that aired back to back with The Maxx here...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment