Saturday, December 5, 2015

What that Movie Inspired Me To Do 33

This post came out of a bit of a strange moment in time.  I had been sitting here one lazy Sunday afternoon last month, thinking of the scene in the movie Mermaids, where Cher's character serves the kids their dinner of  "fun finger foods".  So, I watched the movie again (I talked about it back in year one day 69) and took my notes.
But guess what? I'm not the only one who thought about the food in this movie. No sirry bob, in fact, Heather from All Roads Lead To The Kitchen and the creator of the Food n' Flix group, thought a trip through the seaweed was a smashing idea.  So here's what this movie inspired me to do...and when you're done here, check out Heather's offering. (Sweet and Spicy Dr. Pepper Glazed Pretzels)

Notes- popcorn, cheeseball pick me ups, marshmallow-kabobs, mini franks, pumpkin, wine, "seafood", fudge, "sole" (the shoes) sandwiches, milk, canned fruit, sauerkraut, deli meat, velveta cheese, canned cocktail winnies, bananas, Hallowe'en treats, lollies, flax seed (their name is Flax) punch, chocolate cake, cookies, bagels, coffee, deviled eggs, lemon-aid, olives, pop, goose, pretzels, crackers and cheese, cabbage rolls, turkey, potatoes, celery with cheese, corn (decoration on wall) pancakes, juice, bacon, sausage, toast, rice crispies squares, candy canes, pot roast, roasted chicken, green beans, tossed salad, mashed potatoes, carrots, rolls, beets, fruit salad, potato salad, tomatoes, peanut butter, chips, salsa, cheesies.

Even though you don't see a tv dinner in the movie, the idea of a tv dinner just didn't leave my mind. I started by picking up a take-away style baking tray.

I knew I wanted to do something that reminded me of the tv dinners we used to have when I was a kid, which always included salisbury steak.  So I went with a tofu steak.

I used an extra firm tofu, slicing it on the long side, added salt and ground black pepper, cooking it on a medium heat for 45 minutes. Flipping every so often.

I made mashed potatoes and mixed veggies for my sides. Nothing special with the peas, carrots and green beans, in fact they were frozen. And my other cheat was a pre-packaged mushroom gravy.

Here's the ironic part, by the time I got it all assembled, it was cold and actually needed to be heated up again.  So into the oven it went with a cover of aluminum foil for 15 minutes at 250degrees.


2 comments:

  1. This is a fun idea, and even thought you don't actually see a tv dinner in the movie, it does seem to totally fit! And extra firm tofu cut into steaks is one of my favorite things. That is a tv dinner I'd happily devour. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yours was better. I love doing these. I love when a scene in a movie/book or even a song for that matter, sparks something creative.

      Delete